Restrictive Covenant Modifications

Imperial County Clerk-Recorder’s Office Restrictive Covenant Modification Program Implementation Plan

Recorder Services

Recorder’s Fee Schedule

Recording/Filing Fees
Document Requiring Additional Indexing
Financing Statements (Initial and Amendments)
Miscellaneous Fees
State Releases
Copy and Certification Fees
Vital Records

Change of Title and Transfer of Property

Change of Title and Transfer of Property

Conveyances/transfers of title to real property are commonly evidenced by the recording of an instrument. Additions of spouses, transfers of property into or out of trusts and removal of persons from title are examples of changes in title. The changes can be accomplished by the preparation, execution and recording of a document reflecting the changes.

The most common types of recordable documents effecting title changes are:

  • Deeds
  • Affidavits of Death
  • Court Orders

If you choose to prepare the document yourself, it is your responsibility to determine the appropriate form(s) and course of action that best suit your particular needs. It is highly recommended that you consult an attorney, title company, or professional document preparation service if you are contemplating making any changes in title to real property. Pursuant to Government Code Section 24004 and Business and Professions Code Section 6125, staff of the Recorder’s Office is prohibited from providing legal advice. This prohibition includes offering any guidance as to what processes must be undertaken, how to complete forms, or determining what forms are required in order to make any changes in the title to real property.

Please note that changes to title may result in the reassessment of the property for property tax purposes. Additionally, many transfers are subject to Documentary Transfer Tax and some may trigger an I.R.S. gift tax or other legal consequences.

It is important to weigh these considerations before effecting the change.

Cambio de Título y la Transferencia de Propiedad

Las transferencias de título de propiedad se declaran normalmente mediante el registro de un instrumento/documento. Agregar los nombres de los cónyuges, transferencias de propiedad dentro o fuera de fideicomiso de administración y/o retirar nombres de personas del título de propiedad, son ejemplos de cambios en el título. Los cambios se pueden lograr mediante la preparación, ejecución y registro de un documento que refleje los cambios.

Los tipos más comunes de documentos registrables, para efectuar cambios de título son:

  • Escrituras de propiedad/ título (Deed)
  • Declaración Jurada de Defunción (Affidavit of Death)
  • Ordenes Jurídicas (Court Orders)

Si usted decide preparar el documento, es su responsabilidad determinar los formularios apropiados y curso de acción que mejor se adapten a sus necesidades. Se recomienda que consulte a un abogado, compañia de bienes y raíces o servicio profesional de preparación de documentos si están contemplando realizar cambios en el título de propiedad de bienes. Conforme al código de Gobierno, Seccion 24004 y código de Negocios y Profesiones, Sección 6125, el personal de la oficina del Registrador tienen pohibido proporcionar asesoramiento jurídico. Esta prohibición incluye cualquier orientación sobre que proceso debe llevarse a cabo, cómo completar formularios, o determinar que formas son requeridas para hacer cualquier cambio en el título de propiedad.

Tenga en cuenta que los cambios en el título pueden ser causa de que la propiedad sea re-evaluada para propósitos de impuestos sobre la propiedad. Además, muchas de las transferencias están sujetas a impuestos por transferencia documental y algunos pueden crear impuestos con el departamento de I.R.S, u otras consecuencias legales.

Es importante que usted considere estas observaciones antes de efectuar el cambio.

Real Estate Transfers Under

The Documentary Transfer Tax Act

Following is a list of Real Estate transactions that are exempt from Documentary Transfer Tax under the Documentary Transfer Tax Act. A statement and/or appropriate Revenue and Taxation code shall be revealed on the face of all documents to be recorded that are exempt from Transfer Tax.

Please contact the Recorder’s Office staff at (442) 265-1077 if you have further questions.

1 R&T 11911 Conveyances Confirming Title in Grantee

This conveyance confirms title to the grantee(s) who continues to hold the same interest.

2 R&T 11927 Conveyances in Dissolution of Marriage

This conveyance is in dissolution of marriage by one spouse to the other.

3 R&T 11921 Conveyance to Secure a Debt

This conveyance is to secure a debt.

4 R&T 11921 Reconveyance Upon Satisfaction of a Debt

This is a reconveyance of realty upon satisfaction of a debt.

5 R&T 11930 Conveyance Transferring Interest into or out of a Living Trust

This conveyance transfers an interest into or out of a Living Trust.

6 R&T 11911 Conveyance Changing Manner in Which Title is Held

This conveyance changes the manner in which title is held, grantor(s) and grantee(s) remain the same and continue to hold the same proportionate interest.

7 R&T 11911 Court Ordered Conveyances Not Pursuant to Sale

This is a court-ordered conveyance or decree that is not pursuant to sale.

8 R&T 11911 Conveyance Given For No Value

This is a bonafide gift and the grantor received nothing in return.

9 R&T 11911 Conveyance to Establish Sole and Separate Property of a Spouse

This conveyance establishes sole and separate property of a spouse.

10 R&T 11911 Conveyance to Confirm a Community Property Interest when Property was Purchased with Community Property Funds

This conveyance confirms a community property interest, which was purchased with Community Property Funds

11 R&T 11911 Conveyance to Confirm a Change of Name

This conveyance confirms change of name and the grantor & grantee are the same party.

12 R&T 11911 Conveyances of an Easement or Oil and Gas Lease Where the Consideration and Value is Less Than $100.00

This is a conveyance of an easement (Oil and Gas Lease) and the consideration and value is less than $100.

13 R&T 11911 Conveyances Where the Liens and Encumbrances are Equal or More Than the Value of Property, and No Further Consideration is Given

The value of the property in this conveyance, exclusive of liens and encumbrances is $100 or less, and there is no additional consideration received by the grantor.

14 R&T 11911 Conveyance from a Trustee Under a Land Contract at the Consummation of the Contract

This is a conveyance of equitable title from a trustee, under a land contract, to the vendee at the consummation of the contract.

15 R&T 11925(d) Conveyances From Individual(s)/Legal Entity(ies) to Individual(s)/Legal Entity(ies) where the Grantors and Grantees are Comprised of the Same Parties and Parties Continue to Hold the Same Proportionate Interest. (Exception: Dissolution of a Partnership R&T 11925[b]).

The grantors and grantees in this conveyance are comprised of the same parties who continue to hold the same proportionate interest in the property.

16 R&T 11925(b) Conveyances to Confirm Dissolution of a Partnership

This conveyance confirms a dissolution or termination of a partnership.

17 R&T 11926 Conveyance in Lieu of Foreclosure to a Beneficiary or Mortgage Only

This conveyance transfers the grantors interest to the beneficiary or mortgage due to an unpaid debt.

18 R&T 11922 Conveyances for Governmental Agencies

This conveyance establishes governmental entities acquiring title.